Whitchurch & Llandaff North
New Photos
Designed by Steve Nicholas
Copyright © 2016 by Steve Nicholas ·  All Rights reserved  ·  E-Mail: stevenick25@gmail.com
Delivery van at Jupps Confectionery, Brook Road, Whitchurch c. 1920. From left to right: -?-, Ernald Jupp, Charles John Jupp and Ted Jupp.
HOME PAGE
The 'Emerald Isle' a Bristol built saddle tank steam engine (0-6-0) of 1916.  This engine was used at the Melingriffith Tin Plate Work, the driver is Oliver Collard and the latchter is Mr.Tilly. The engine was used on a private railway line  from the Melingriffith Works, which was converted from a narrow gauge tramway in 1877.  The line skirted the river Taff, crossing the Taff Vale railway mainline on the level at Pentyrch crossing, and led to the Pentyrch ironworks and lime kilns at the foot of the Little Garth Hill.
The 'Emerald Isle' a Bristol built saddle tank steam engine (0-6-0) of 1916.  This engine was used at the Melingriffith Tin Plate Work, the driver is Oliver Collard and the latchter is Mr.Tilly. The engine was used on a private railway line  from the Melingriffith Works, which was converted from a narrow gauge tramway in 1877.  The line skirted the river Taff, crossing the Taff Vale railway mainline on the level at Pentyrch crossing, and led to the Pentyrch ironworks and lime kilns at the foot of the Little Garth Hill.
Eglwys Newydd Boy's School, Ty'n Y Parc Road, built in 1855 as a church school. In 1885 it became a board school and it transfered to the Glamorgan County Council in 1904, Cardiff Council in 1967 and South Glamorgan County Council in 1974.  The school closed in the mid 1970's and was demolished in 1991, being replaced by the present day block of flats.
Coryton House nearthe Village Hotel.  The house was built for Sir James Herbert Cory, the ship owner and Conservative MP for Cardiff.  The house was used by the civil defence during the Secon World War. After the war, the house and grounds were bought by the GPO.  Ty Coryton is now used by Orbis education & Care to provide specialist residential and educational services for children with autismn.
Whitchurch Police Station, Bishops Road. The station was built in 1908 and demolished in 2003.  Housing developers acquired the land and in 2007 they buily eighteen apartments called Bishops Gate.
Pages   1     2     3     4